Giving Back ~ Home of the Razorbacks
"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." - Mahatma Gandhi

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Giving Back

Has your bubble been burst yet?

Last year during a teachers' conference in Manila, I listened to a student deliver a keynote speech in front of a big theater hall full of teachers, principals, and other professional educators. To be honest, when I first saw the agenda for the day I was actually a bit surprised that a student was invited to speak. I remember saying to myself, "Wow, this kid must be really something..", but I didn't think much of it then. After all, Taylor Mali was speaking right after him. (If you're not familiar with Taylor Mali, google him and watch the videos. He's a very entertaining and inspiring teacher and slam poet. You'll understand what I mean once you've seen the videos of his poetry.)

Sam Ramos-Jones was a senior then at the host school, International School Manila (ISM). He presented his thoughts on what giving back meant to him, and how Service Learning/CAS made an impact in his life. Watch the video (in two parts below) and reflect on what he has to say. (He speaks a bit fast, so feel free to rewind the video at anytime.)

Part 1


Part 2



I can barely remember what Taylor Mali shared that morning. 

Sam's reflections and challenge, however, continue to inspire me to push CAS into our school's consciousness so we can be the change our world needs.


Sam's teacher was right: "When we listen, we can learn a lot from our students. As long as we continue to nurture their creativity, provide opportunities for their growth, and are inspired by them, we can all be the change, together."

I am listening. =)


*Sam was a 2009 EARCOS Global Citizen Award recipient for his work with PREP (Promoting Rural Education in the Philippines). Learn more about PREP here.

No comments:

Post a Comment